To spark a green mindset in staff by developing a campaign with the objective of achieving energy savings, improving recycling rates and engaging staff in environmentally sustainable behaviours, in alignment with DBS’ sustainability goals.
To reduce the environmental footprint through engaging staff in novel and innovative ways.
- Techniques for staff engagement
- Time management - to run the campaign on top of regular workloads
- Communication methods
- At DBS’ annual Star Wars Day staff event, the team engaged employees with quizzes and games relating to energy saving and environmental sustainability.
- Eco-heroes, who are volunteers from departments across the business, acted as ambassadors and role models for their colleagues.
- The Eco-Cup Competition pitted staff on different floors against each other to see who could improve their energy saving and recycling rates.
- Deployed technical changes such as raising the air conditioner’s temperature from 23.5oC to 24.5oC.
Impact in Numbers
5% during campaign
Improvement in Recycling Rates
"Through gamification, we learned and encouraged one another on how the trash should be disposed without contamination in the transparent bins allocated"
- Staff are motivated to save energy when participating in initiatives which drive environmentally sustainable behaviours.
- Staff are likely to care for the environment if it will make their workplace or home a better place to be in.
- Personal recognition and rewards are good motivators to encourage participation and involvement amongst staff.
- Peer influence and conversations among colleagues are effective tools for increasing staff engagement.
- Gamification was an effective engagement technique.
- A targeted communication plan is key.